Monday, July 18, 2011

And Then Came the Rain

Jeremiah 17:7-8 - Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.  He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.  It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.  It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

Looking out my living room window, I see a parched land.  Grass that is losing its rich green color due to lack of moisture and flowers in shades of red and pink withering in the heat. While looking out my window, though, I see myself.  I am parched.  I am withering.  I am thirsty.

It's not that I am alone in a desert with no family or friends and no feeling of God's presence.  Quite the opposite, really.  It's just that I am looking for more of God to quench my thirst.  I crave more of His direction and more of His purpose for my life.  

Regardless of where I am at, though, I still feel God's presence with me and hear His voice.  He says, "Stay.  Stay right where you are at and keep searching for Me.  When you look for Me with your whole heart, you will find Me.  Until the time has come, stay."

God places us in times of drought to learn from Him.  When we are thirsty and craving relief from the heat, He reminds us that we can only find respite in Him.  But in order for us to find that relief, we must stay.  

When it finally began to rain, I knew God was speaking to me.  

"Here is a taste of the nourishment you've been looking for."

I was a thirsty woman that afternoon, and I still am as I write weeks later.  I can say with all certainty, though, that God has placed me in this season of drought for a reason.  I must learn to trust Him...to rely on Him...to wait for Him..to look to Him to quench my thirst alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment